My first impression of Brendon Burchard was just a regular productivity coach who manages to get some photos taken with the celebrities and leverages them to promote his average work. Any person who uses his photos with celebrities to come as authentic raises a red flag for me straightaway. It was his book however that changed my perception completely, from which I realized that he has some really good insights to offer the self-help enthusiasts. Here, I mention the six main habits from his book High Performance Habits.
- Seek clarity: Asking themselves questions who they are and who they want to be. What to focus and what is meaningful. How to choose between opportunities
- Generate energy: Greater physical vitality and positive range of emotions
- Raise necessity: Emotional drive that demands the best performance possible
- Increase productivity: Focus on what needs to be done and get it done by identifying your primarily field of interest and giving most of your time to it.
- Develop influence: Learn to influence other people by programming their brains
- Demonstrate courage: Help others more and lead with courage
There are three important key ideas that I never knew from all the other books (credits to this summary on YouTube).
- Tension to intention: This was an eye opener for me because everyone in knows, thanks to William James, that they can control their thoughts and change their life. This is what he exactly said, “The greatest discovery of our generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind. As you think, so shall you be.” However, Brendon added another layer over this attitude by emphasizing that we dictate our feelings as well. Before any transition, think what kind of feelings you want to bring into the new scene and conjure them up out of thin air.
- Necessity through identity: Associate yourself with an identity of a master. This is what you do.
- Bringing my `A’ game: It is easier to find purpose in life by devoting to the cause of one person that changing the fate of humanity. Our mind just works better on small scales here as well. Most self help gurus will motivate you to work for the mankind which is difficult. It is much better if you try to change the life of one person around you who you truly love.