Some time ago, I had the good fortune to listen to a great talk on some important life lessons. It was given by US Navy Admiral William H. McRaven and converted into a nice book Make Your Bed: Small Things that can Change Your Life… and Maybe the World.
Some of the lessons he mentioned are summarized below.
- If you want to change the world, start off by making your bed. By the end of the day, that one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed.
- Making your bed will also reinforce the fact that little things in life matter.
- There are a lot of sharks in the world. If you hope to complete the swim, you will have to deal with them.
- Nothing matters but your will to succeed.
- Measure a person by the size of their heart, not by the size of their flippers.
- If I have learned anything in my time travelling the world, it is the power of hope.